Accession number (or unique identifier)
We hold the archives of many public health institutions, including Hospital and Charitable Aid Boards, Area and District Health Boards, the local Health Department offices, and the institutions they administered.
- The minutes of the Canterbury and the West Coast Health Boards, their correspondence files and the surviving registers of the hospitals they administered, including smaller country hospitals now closed.
- The correspondence files of the local Health Department offices in Christchurch and Timaru, including records on public health.
- The archives of Seaview (Hokitika) and Sunnyside psychiatric hospitals from 1860s onwards.
- The records of Christchurch's Female Refuge, which was established in the 1870s and became Essex Hospital early last century.
- The records of Queen Mary Hospital, Hanmer
- Files on nurses' training in the region
c.1860 - c. 1989
Records containing information about an individual's health are restricted for 100 years. Permission to view the records may be obtained from the Privacy Officer of the relevant Health Board.
Contact Archives New Zealand Christchurch Office email@example.com
. Computerised documentation on these records can be searched onsite. Online access to information about holdings should be available late in 2005.