Letter from the Provincial Immigration Agent to Provincial Secretary about proposed alterations to the new Christchurch immigration barracks in Market Place, 1858. The immigration barracks providing temporary accommodation for newly arrived settlers in Lyttelton was built before the arrival of the First Four Ships, but Christchurch did not gain its own barracks until 1858. It stood on the north side of Armagh Street next to the police barracks and gaol which were on the corner of Armagh and Oxford Terrace. The original plan was altered in 1859 to add rooms for the master and matron and stop direct access from outside to the single women's day room. In 1864 the immigrants went to a new barracks in Addington and the original building was taken over by the Volunteer Fire Brigade. The building was demolished after 1876.