Home > The The Fabric of Christchurch 1850 - 1880 > Public buildings
Go to home page - Christchurch Online.
Skip navigation

Tender for the gas fittings in the new wards in Christchurch Hospital, August 1874.

Archives Reference

CH 287 CP300 ICPW, item 2059/1874 [with 779/1877]

Letter from architect (Benjamin Mountfort) to Provincial Secretary about proposed temporary wards at Christchurch Hospital, October 1874.

Archives Reference

CH 287 CP300 ICPW, item 2059/

Plan showing Hospital Reserve as mentioned in Hospital Ordinance 1863.

Archives Reference

CH 287 CP300 ICPW, item 4223/1874 [with 779/1877]

Letter from Christchurch Park and Domains Board to Provincial Secretary agreeing to the granting of land for an extension of the Hospital, November 1875

Archives Reference

CH 287 CP300 ICPW 2759/1875 [with 779/1877]

Architect's report on Christchurch Hospital works in progress, February 1875.

Archives Reference

CH 287 CP300 ICPW 25/1876 [with 779/1877]

Letter from John Anderson (Canterbury Foundry) to the Provincial Engineer about the provision of pillars for the Hospital's gate, March 1876.

Archives Reference

CH 287 CP300 ICPW, item 532/1876 [with 779/1877]

Requisition for a Police Station in Waltham, 1876. During this year a number of new stations were established in the suburbs of Christchurch and outlying areas.

Archives Reference

CH 287 CP296 ICPW, item 1153/1876 [with 525/1877]

Plan of proposed site for Waltham Police Station, 1876.

Archives Reference

CH 287 CP296 ICPW, item 1359/1876 [with 525/1877]

Letter from the Provincial Immigration Agent to Provincial Secretary about proposed alterations to the new Christchurch immigration barracks in Market Place, 1858.

Archives Reference

CH 287 CP595e 4. Provincial Council Papers, 1858

Letter from the architect, Mountfort, to Secretary for Public Works about furniture for the new Provincial Council Chamber, July 1866.

Archives Reference

CH 287 CP216 ICPW, item 1018/1866 [with 1903/1867]

Plan of seating arrangements in the new Council Chamber, 1866

Archives Reference

CH 287 CP216 ICPW, item 314/1866 [with 1903/1867]

William Wilson to John Hall, Secretary for Public Works, 1864, offering a site for the new Custom House in his proposed subdivision of his original nursery land on the site of the present Bedford Row.

Archives Reference

CH 287 CP282 ICPW, item 728/1864 [with 2028/1876]

Public buildings

The Provincial Government was responsible for the construction, alteration and maintenance of a significant number of public buildings ranging from the impressive Government Buildings with their stone council chamber to the Christchurch Hospital and Sunnyside Lunatic Asylum. The Provincial Engineer's office, which coordinated many large construction projects throughout the province during these years, operated in the 1860s from a pair of nondescript wooden buildings within the Market Place. The first public building in Christchurch housed the Land Office and was by the river on the corner of Worcester Street and Oxford Terrace, the site later occupied by the first City Council chambers.