Excerpt from a report with accompanying sketch plan, from the Railway Engineer to the Provincial Secretary for Public Works, reporting on progress with the lines and stations. The completion of the rail link between Christchurch and Lyttelton was a significant achievement for the province. The first railway line was opened between Christchurch and Ferrymead in December 1863. The Lyttelton Tunnel was opened in 1867. Branch lines into the provincial hinterland were established from the mid 1860s and the main southern line reached Dunedin in 1878. A new Christchurch Railway Station was opened in 1879. The station shown in the plan is located well to the south of what is now Moorehouse Avenue.