Municipal Council committee report upon the best method of partially lighting Christchurch, June 1862.
CH 343/48a item 21. Committee Reports, Christchurch City Council
Report of Public Lamps Committee, March 1866.
CH 343/48a items 124/125. Committee Reports, Christchurch City Council
The first official street lighting in Christchurch came after the establishment of the Municipal Council, with the placing of a kerosene lamp by Market Place (Victoria Square) bridge. These lights were gradually extended and after a few years were converted to gas. By 1876 there were some 152 gas lamps within the city.